The summer season officially kicked off last Sunday and coincidentally, it was also Father’s day. This also meant that family get-togethers and backyard BBQ’s entered into full swing. To celebrate Father’s day and the official beginning of the summer season, this past weekend I decided to gather a few ingredients and invite a few of our friends over to enjoy our delicious and easy Beans Tostadas with Salsa Verde. If you are not familiar with Tostadas, you are in for a yummy surprise. Tostadas are very popular in Mexico and Latin America and every country has their own versions of this super versatile dish. The best part is that Tostadas can be easily made with many different veggies, proteins and other toppings.
To prepare your Tostadas, all you need are corn tortillas and your favorite protein. For your tostadas toppings, you can add lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, corn, cheese (preferably queso fresco), sour cream, jalapeño peppers, salsa or salsa verde.
For my Tostadas, I decided to go with refried black beans because everyone in the family likes them and besides, black beans are a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber and Folate. So, a win, win situation all around. If you don’t have time to refried your beans, you can use them whole out of a can or just after they are done. For toppings, we went with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, queso fresco and Herdez salsa verde.
The complementary flavors of the beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and the salsa verde are enhanced by the crunchiness of the corn tortillas. We love Herdez’s salsa verde at home and it seems as we go through it a lot, so we make sure to stock up when we go shopping at our local Big Lots store, where they not only have amazing home decor and home furniture, but also carry an amazing selection of foods.
- 2 cups of black beans or 2 cans 15.2 oz. beans
- 8 corn tortillas, toasted
- 1/2 cup of queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 cups of lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup of Herdez Salsa verde
- Heat one tablespoon of butter in a skillet, add your beans to your skillet. Add one teaspoon of powered onion and one teaspoon of powdered garlic and combine. Heat thoroughly for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the beans to a blender and blend your beans until silky smooth.
- Assemble your tostadas:
- Spread a spoonful of refried beans onto each toasted tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with a handful of lettuce and spoonful of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle queso fresco and Herdez Salsa verde.
- Arrange on a serving platter and enjoy!
As you can see our Beans Tostadas with Salsa Verde recipe is quite simple and easy to make. The best part is that if you are having guests over, you can whip them up super fast and have them as an appetizer or as part of your main dish. Besides, been delicious, this recipe is also very appealing to both vegetarian and meat-eaters. What do you topped your Tostadas with? Share it with us by leaving us a note in the comment section below. Para nuestros amigos Latinos, pueden encontrar este post en Español en el sitio de Big Lots Latino aquí.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Big Lots Latino. All expressed opinions are 100% mine and not influenced by anything or anyone.