Are you looking for an easy to prepare meal with an amazing flavor everyone will love? If so, I invite you to make this easy-does-it-Nicaraguan-inspired Carne Desmenuzada (very similar to Cuban Ropa Vieja) AKA Shredded Beef made in your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Usually shredded beef takes hours to prepare since you have to cook the beef for a couple of hours, shredded the beef, prepare the sauce and combine it all together. However, by using your Instant Pot pressure cooker or any other pressure cooker for that matter, you can cut the preparation time to just 15 minutes! Seriously, from start to finish, all it takes is 15 minutes. Still don’t believe me? Here is how.
Instant Pot Carne Desmenuzada or Ropa Vieja (Shredded Beef)
- 3 tablespoons corn oil or Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 small onion cut, (1/2 in big wedges and ½ sliced lengthwise)
- 1 small red pepper, (1/2 in big wedges and ½ sliced lengthwise)
- ½ small green pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium tomato, diced lengthwise
- 1 pound of Flan Steak
- ½ a small bitter orange
- 2½ cups of the broth (beef stock)
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of achiote diluted in a little of broth
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 glove of garlic
- In your Instant Pot inner liner, place the flank steak cut in 3 large pieces, ½ onion (big wedges), garlic (whole), bitter orange (juice), ½ green pepper (big wedges) and cook in "Manual" setting for 10 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is done, do a "quick release" by turning the Steam release to "venting".
- Remove the flank steak from the broth, transfer the beef stock to another container and reserve it.
- Now, shredded the beef using two forks or with using your fingers to separate the strands. If the beef is not easy shredded, you can cook it for an additional 5 minutes.
- Return your Instant pot inner liner to its housing and click on the saute pre-set.
- Once on, add the oil to the inner liner.
- Once the Instant pot beeps, add the lengthwise peppers, onion, and tomatoes and cook until tender.
- Add the shredded beef back to the pot and mix.
- Now add about 1-2 cups of reserved broth, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, ketchup. mustard, diluted achiote, salt, and pepper to taste and saute for 2-5 minutes.
- If your sauce is a bit dry, add a bit more reserved stock.
- Accompany your shredded beef with a side of rice, mashed potatoes, or plantains.
Want more Instant Pot Recipes? Click here to find more!
So, there it is! Yes, it is that simple and fast too! I hope you get to enjoy this delicious Instant Pot Carne Desmenuzada or Ropa Vieja (Shredded Beef) recipe which holds such a special place in my memories from when I was growing up. Not only is this recipe delicious, but the best part is that you can prepare in one pot. No more messing with a bunch of different pot and waiting for 1 to 2 hours for your meat to tenderize. 🙂 One last thing, if you have favorite pressure cooker recipe you love, please share it with us via the comment section below, maybe that will be the next recipe we get to make! 🙂