Celebrate National Lasagna day with this Simple Classic Meat Lasagna recipe.
This recipe is simple to prepare with all the flavor of the classic lasagna recipe everyone loves.
Did you know that National Lasagna Day is this coming Friday? Yes, that’s right, there is a holiday to celebrate this delicious and one of my personal favorite meal. When I met my husband all those years ago, I learned that his favorite things to eat involve some kind of Italian food. I really mean it! On a monthly basis, he especially requests my Cheese-Stuffed Shells in Tomato & Sweet Basil Sauce recipe and/or my Rigatoni Primavera with Chicken recipe, but his most favorite Italian dish is my Simple Classic Meat Lasagna. Throughout the years, we have perfected several different variations to this recipe and today I am going to share with you, my this delicious recipe we love so much.
Simple Classic Meat Lasagna Recipe
Let’s get started! So, what ingredients do you need to make this simple classic meat lasagna recipe? That’s simple, all you need is 1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey or a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage, 1 pinch of basil, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of oregano, black pepper to taste, 1 jar of marinara sauce, 1 package of lasagna noodles, 16 ounces of ricotta, 1 1/2 pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese. And to prepare it all you need is to keep following the recipe below.
- 1 pound of ground beef or ground turkey or a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage
- 1 pinch of basil
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- black pepper to taste
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- 1 package of lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces of ricotta
- 1½ pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt to the water and boil the water. Once the water boils, place the lasagna noodles and let them cook following the instructions in the box.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium to high heat. Drain excess grease and basil, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, and onion powder. Simmer and stirring frequently for about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in marinara sauce, lower heat to low and let it simmer. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While your oven is preheating, start assembling your lasagna. Place a layer of the lasagna noodles on the bottom of 9x13 inch baking dish, add meat and sauce mixture next. Spread a thin layer of ricotta cheese over the meat and sauce mixture. Next, sprinkle with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles, and another layer of beef and sauce mixture, and another layer of ricotta and mozzarella. Repeat layering ending with the mozzarella cheese on top. Reserve about ½ cup of mozzarella cheese for later.
- Cover your baking dish and bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Once the cheese is bubbling, uncover, sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top, and return to the oven for about 10 minutes for a nice melted cheese topping. You can also broil for 5 minutes to brown the cheese.
This recipe is not only super easy to prepare, it is the perfect meal for any weeknight or a special occasion. Hope you and your family enjoy our simple classic meat lasagna recipe. If you decide to make our recipe, let us know how you liked our recipe by dropping us a note in the comment section below or by sharing your own creation on social media and tagging us. We will be sure to re-share your amazing posts.
Para nuestros amigos Latinos, pueden encontrar esta receta en Español en el sitio de Big Lots Latino aquí.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Big Lots Latino. All expressed opinions are 100% mine and not influenced by anything or anyone.