Learn how to make these cheesy and oh-so-delicious Black Bean Quesadillas.
They are cheesy and super easy to prepare.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of UF/IFAS. The opinions and text are all mine.
With three growing kids, that include two very active boys, it seems that my days are filled with running around getting them to and from school to their extra-curricular activities. Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining at all because I know their activities keeps their active and therefore, very healthy and not bored! 🙂 However, all these activities also get them very hungry and as soon as their bags hit the ground the first question out of their mouth is what is there to eat? To get through the afternoon slump and to provide them with enough energy to get them through dinner time, we keep several items handy. For instant, energy boosters, such as fruits, cereal, milk, granola bars, popcorn and whole wheat tortillas are all part of our afternoon snacks. All my kids love quesadillas, so I have several versions of this easy to make and super yummy dish. One of our favorite quesadillas are black beans quesadillas, because I can have them ready in no time and they can be quickly and efficiently customized to whatever I have in the fridge or the kids want on them. Which is extremely important because we are always on the go!
Black Bean Quesadillas Recipe
One thing I love about quesadillas is that they are extremely versatile. You can prepare them with corn or wheat tortillas and you can customize them with whatever ingredients you want. We love them with grill chicken or with only cheese or with spinach or with black beans. Yummy! Today I want to share with you one of those combinations we love. It is our black bean with corn and tomatoes quesadillas. All you need to prepare these Black Bean Quesadillas are the following ingredients:
- One 15 ½-ounce can black beans, seasoned preferred
- Two cups of drained and rinsed can corn or fresh corn
- One 8-inch bag of whole wheat flour tortillas
- One small tomato or 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- One 8-oz. bag Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Two tablespoons of fresh Salsa verde or salsa
- One tablespoon of powdered onion
- One tablespoon of powdered garlic
- Drained and rinsed can corn or peel and rinse kernels if using fresh corn. Set corn aside.
- In a colander, drain the black beans and set aside.
- In a small skillet, add 1 teaspoon of butter and let it melt. Then combine beans, onion, and garlic powdered. Heat beans on low to medium heat (about 3-5 minutes).
- In the same skillet, add and combine corn, diced tomatoes into the black beans (2-4 minutes).
- Spread bean, corn and tomatoes mixture evenly on one whole wheat tortilla. Sprinkle Mexican blend cheese on top of the mixture.
- In another skillet and on medium heat, add one teaspoon of butter and let it melt. Place your whole wheat tortilla with the mixture and top with another tortilla. Cook on each side 2-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once all quesadillas are done, cut quesadillas into wedges using a pizza cutter.
- Serve your quesadillas while hot and top your them with tomatoes, avocados, guacamole, and/or sour cream.
As you can see this version of Black Bean Quesadillas is not only a easy recipe, it is so versatile. Which is your favorite quesadilla version? Let us know how you liked this recipe by dropping us a note in the comment section below!