Enjoy these tender and flaky Cheese Pizza Empanadas recipe or calzones (stuffed pizza) snacks.
Sponsored post: This post is sponsored by Mezzetta but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
There are several things that make me feel happy and joyous, among them is to enjoy a delicious meal with my family and the other one is to travel the world with them. This past summer while we were enjoying our family vacation, the kiddos discovered the joys of air travel. Yes, you read correctly, for the first time in their lives the kiddos experience getting on a plane. Although we have travel to many different locations before, this was the first time the kids had gotten on a plane. Fortunately, our flights were amazing and so was the food. Yes, that’s right and I am not talking about peanuts and a drink. We actually got to enjoy real food and even had some delicious Cheese Pizza Empanadas snacks. The kids were so enchanted with these little treats that they of course asked for them when we got back home.
Cheese Pizza Empanadas Recipe
So, to make my little ones happy and to commemorate our summer air travel, I decided to recreate those same delicious Cheese Pizza empanadas snacks we had on our flight with the following ingredients: 1/2 cup Mezzetta® marinara pizza sauce; 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese; 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese; 6 prepared Empanada Dough from the freezer section at your local grocery; 1 large egg; 1 tablespoon milk. And to prepared them following the recipe below.
- 1/2 cup Mezzetta® marinara pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 prepared Empanada Dough from the freezer section at your local grocery
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Optional: pepperoni, ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey, veggies, etc.
- In a large bowl, blend marinara sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Set pizza mixture aside.
- Remove Empanada dough rounds from its package and brush the edges with water.
- Spoon one (1) tablespoon of pizza mixture onto each circle.
- Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pinching with your fingers and pressing along the edges with a fork.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- While the oven is preheating, beat one (1) egg and milk in small bowl with a fork until foamy.
- Brush egg-wash over empanadas.
- Place your empanadas on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, cool your empanadas for 10 minutes before serving.
Pretty easy right? Although I made these Cheese Pizza empanadas with cheese only, you can add anything you want to them. All you have to do is add your favorite pepperoni, ground beef, sausage, ground pork, ground turkey or even veggies to the pizza mixture. As a handy tip, serve extra marinara pizza sauce with your Cheese Pizza Empanadas. Finally, if you decide to make this recipe, let us know how you liked it by dropping us a note in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to tag us on social media if you post pics of your amazing creations, we will be sure to re-share them.