Disney•Pixar’s Onward Now Playing! Check out our Onward movie review (no spoilers) our 4DX Experience.
My family and I were invited to screen Disney•Pixar’s Onward at our local Regal Cinemas 4DX theater location. No compensation was received.
It’s no secret that my family and I love movies but you already knew that. 🙂 Not only do we love movies but we love, love, love animated films! I don’t know maybe it is just the kid in us or maybe it is because animated films are a way for us parents to find something to relate to with our own parents and with our children. Anyways, it had been a second since my family and I had the opportunity to see an animated movie at the theater, but that changed this past weekend.
Last Saturday night, my husband, the kids and I headed to our local Regal Cinema to enjoy Onward on 4DX. So, now that we have seen the movie, what is our takeaway of this modern-fairy-tale-slash-magical-quest-adventure film? Below I break it down for you, plus I give you our thoughts on Regal Cinema’s 4DX experience and don’t worry our reviews are always free of spoilers in case you haven’t seen the film yet! 🙂
About Disney•Pixar’s Onward
When teenage elf brothers Ian and Barley Lightfoot (voices of Tom Holland and Chris Pratt) get an unexpected opportunity to spend one more day with their late dad, they embark on an extraordinary quest aboard Barley’s epic van Guinevere. Like any good quest, their journey is filled with magic spells, cryptic maps, impossible obstacles and unimaginable discoveries. But when the boys’ fearless mom Laurel (voice of Julia Louis-Dreyfus) realizes her sons are missing, she teams up with a part-lion, part-bat, part-scorpion, former warrior – aka The Manticore (voice of Octavia Spencer) – and heads off to find them. Perilous curses aside, this one magical day could mean more than any of them ever dreamed.
Disney•Pixar’s Onward Movie Review
Onward begins by introducing us to Onward’s magical past and as we learn from the prologue, magic was tough to learn which gave way to Onward’s mythical ancestors to embrace technology and gradually forget how to cast spells. As the story moves forward, we meet Ian (voiced by Tom Holland), Barley (voiced by Chris Pratt), and Laurel -their mom – (voiced by Julia Louis-Dreyfus) living in an unmagical modern-day society where unicorns eat from trash cans like angry raccoons and dragons are kept for pets.
Ian our elf hero has just turned 16 and in typical teenage fashion is quite award and shy with the typical teen anxieties that come with well, being a teen. On the other hand, Ian’s older brother Barley is quite the connoisseur of the old lore however, the brothers’ characters are inheritably quite the opposite. On Ian’s 16 birthday, the brothers learned that their deceased father left them a magical staff alongside a spell that would bring him back to them for 24 hours however the catch is that the spell can only be done once and they had to execute the spell precisely.
After the spell goes south leaving them with dad’s lower body, the brothers embark on an adventure to complete the spell. As I promised above, this review won’t have any spoilers, therefore, I will not be adding any more details about the film beyond this point. One thing worthed mentioning here is that the story of Onward is quite personal for the film’s director which like the characters in the movie, his father also passed away when he and his older brother were quite young.
So, what are our thoughts? As I stated before, my kids’ ages 8 through 15-years were with us and they loved Onward. As soon as the movie was over my daughter, which is 8-years old, firmly exclaimed: “I loved the film!” My 15-year old, simply said: “Pixar can’t do no wrong in my eyes.” Finally, my 13-year old simply put it this way, “it was great but it’s sad.” And yes I have to agree with him, the movie is great and in true Pixar fashion, the film is nostalgic and well worthed watching it with the entire family. Onward is rated PG.
Regal Cinemas 4DX Experience
Now, is it worthed watching Onward on Regal Cinemas 4DX? So, if you have never experienced Regal Cinemas’ 4DX, let me just say that the 4DX experience provides you with an immersive, multi-sensory experience. It allows you (the audience) to connect with movies through motion, vibration, water, wind, snow, lightning, scents, and other special effects which enhances the visuals on-screen. So, is it worthed it? My family and I agreed that YES! Onward has to definitely be watched in 4DX format. Now we cannot wait to see F9 Fast & Furious, Mulan, and many of the other titles coming out in 2020 on 4DX.
4DX Theaters showing “ONWARD”
Want to experience Onward on 4DX? Here is a list of theaters showing Onward across the USA right now:
- 4DX Theaters showing “ONWARD”
- Regal LA Live USA (Los Angeles, CA)
- CGV Buena Park USA (Buena Park, CA)
- Regal Irvine Spectrum USA (Irvine CA)
- Regal Natomas USA (Sacramento, CA)
- Regal Fresno USA (Fresno, CA)
- Edwards Mira Mesa USA (San Diego, CA)
- Cinepolis Vista Pointe USA (Vista, CA)
- Cinepolis Pico Rivera USA (Pico Rivera, CA)
- Regal, Union Square USA (New York, NY)
- Regal E-Walk USA (New York, NY)
- Regal New Roc USA (Rochelle, NY)
- Regal Pointe Orlando USA (Orlando, FL)
- Regal Waterford Lake USA (Orlando, FL)
- Regal Kendall Village USA (Miami, FL)
- Regal Avenues 20- Jacksonville USA (Jacksonville, FL)
- Regal Naples USA (Naples, FL)
- Regal Seattle Meridian USA (Seattle, WA)
- Edwards Houston Marq’e USA (Houston, TX)
- Regal Gateway USA (Austin, TX)
- Regal Warrington Crossing USA (Warrington, PA)
- Regal UA King Of Prussia USA (Philadelphia, PA)
- Regal Gallery Place USA (Washington, DC)
- Regal Fox Stadium USA (Ashburn, VA)
- Regal North City USA (Chicago, IL)
- Marcus Gurnee Mills Cinema USA (Gurnee, IL)
- Regal Moore Warren USA (Moore, OK)
- Regal Stonecrest at Piper Glen USA (Charlotte, NC)
- Regal Pinnacle Stadium 18 USA (Knoxville, TN)
- Regal Cinemas Opry Mills USA (Nashville, TN)
- Regal UA Denver Pavilions USA (Denver, CO)
- Regal Atlantic Station USA (Atlanta, GA)
- Regal Cinemas Red Rock USA (Las Vegas, NV)
- Regal Dole Cannery USA (Honolulu, HI)
- Cineplex Cinemas Winston Churchill CANADA (Toronto, ON)