Last Winter, I decided to incorporate a couple of new recipes into our holiday menu repertoire. Among the new recipes was a delicious Mexican buñuelos dessert. If you are not familiar with Mexican Buñuelos, they are a delicious crispy tortilla fritters or elephant ears topped with the deliciousness of the classic churro mixture taste. Although these buñuelos are heavenly delicious, the recipe is a bit on the involved side. As you may know, I am the kind of mom that loves to find recipe shortcuts to get me from point A to point B while conserving the flavor integrity of the original recipe. Therefore, I started to experiment to find a new way to enjoy these delicious buñelos a faster way and for them to still be delicious! So, if you are looking for a delicious and easy snack or dessert for the Holiday season or just because, I invite you to give this easy baked churro chips recipe a go.
So, to get started all you need are whole wheat tortillas, organic butter (or the butter of your choosing), organic sugar, and ground cinnamon. That’s it! Easy, right? Well easy enough for this mom! Not only are these Easy Baked Churro Chips super easy to prepare, they are ready just 20 minutes. But, they are so crispy and delicious, I bet you will eat them by the handfuls. 🙂
Easy Baked Churro Chips Recipe
- 4-6 whole wheat flour tortillas
- ½ cup of organic sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 stick of organic butter
- Whipped cream, chocolate, caramel or dulce de leche for topping (optional).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a pie tin, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Make sure the sugar and the cinnamon are well-combined.
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt the stick of butter.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, brush both side of the tortilla with the melted butter and press into the pie dish with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Flip the tortilla to the opposite side and again, press the tortilla into the pie dish with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Make sure both sides of the tortilla have enough sugar and cinnamon mixture on their surface. Repeat this process with the other tortillas until you are done. Stack each tortilla on top of each other until done.
- With a pizza cutter, cut your tortillas into 8 wedges.
- Arrange the wedges into single files on a cookie baking sheet (don’t overlap the wedges). Bake them at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the churro chips cool down completely before serving.
- To serve, top your churro chips with whipped cream and chocolate, caramel or dulce de leche. You can also, serve your chips as is or with a cream cheese dip or as they are. Yum!
I like that these churro chips can be healthy snack by eaten them all on there own or with a side of your favorite fruits. Or as a delicious dessert, you can enjoy them with some of the delicious toppings mentioned above. Have you ever made Churro Chips? If so, what do you topped them with or what is your trick to making this recipe even easier? Drop us a note in the comment section below.