This Easy Yellow Plantain Bites Recipe is so tasty and so good, perfect for a quick snack or as part of your dinner.
There is nothing like an amazing aroma emanating from your kitchen to bring your kids running in and asking, what are you making? 🙂 As you may know, I am originally from Nicaragua and we certainly love our tropical fruits. Yes, fruits like pineapple, coconuts, bananas, and plantains can always be found in our kitchen and therefore as part of our snacks, lunches, and dinners. Plantains, in one way or another, are certainly enjoyed in many of their different forms from tostones, fried to maduros. Not only do we love plantain on their own, we also love them paired with some of our favorite dairy products, like cheese, butter, and cream. If your family is anything like mine, I invite you to prepare our delicious and super easy to prepare Yellow Plantain Balls Bites recipe.
Yellow Plantain Balls Bites Recipe
- 3 yellow plantains
- 4 cups water, to boil plantains, salt is optional
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup of dry grated cheese, (Latin-style dry white cheese)
- Pinch of salt or salt to taste
- ¼ cup corn oil, frying the balls
- In a large pot, bring four cups of water to a boil.
- Wash the plantains and cut the end off, leave the skin on. Cut the plantains in half and place the plantains with skin on in the boiling water.
- Cover your pot and cook the plantains on high heat for around 20 minutes.
- Once done, remove the pot from heat and drain the water. Allow your plantains to cool and then peel off the skin and discard it.
- Once the plantains have cooled completely, place them in a medium-size bowl and mash the peeled plantains. Add butter, salt, milk and cheese and combined together.
- Scoop a spoonful of the plantain mix into the palm of your hand and shape it into a ball. Repeat until mix is used up.
- In a medium-size skillet, heat up corn oil and fry the plantain balls until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Once brown, remove balls, drain, and cool on paper towels.
What do you think of our easy and delicious Easy Yellow Plantain Bites Recipe? I love that they can be enjoyed by themselves, with a bit of sprinkled cheese or with a side of cream. Yum! Have you ever made plantain bites? If so, what do you top them with? Drop us a note in the comment section below.