Why wait for Valentine’s day to celebrate it? Well, whether Valentine’s day is tomorrow or in a few months, we are going to celebrate it with these delicious Heart Cookies Filled with Dulce de Leche! I just finished preparing the most delicious and decadent dessert for our Valentine’s day celebration. Dulce de leche has always been a staple in our household, as a matter of fact, I don’t remember when it has not been part of my life. Although dulce de leche might go by many different names in Central, South America, and the Caribbean, this delicious dessert can be enjoyed on its own or as a filling in cakes, cookies, and baked goods. Dulce de Leche can also be transformed and enjoyed in ice cream form. It is so good that I could eat it by the spoonfuls or on its own, YUM! In Nicaragua, we call Dulce de leche, Cajeta and it is my weakness. 🙂 Every time my dad goes to Nicaragua he knows that he must bring me back some. My Heart Cookies filled with dulce de leche are so good and super easy to make, but most of all your kids will get a kick out of them! 🙂 Check out the recipe below.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted cooled butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can of Dulce de Leche
- Confectioner sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together, granulated sugar, brown sugar and melted butter by hand until combined. Add egg and vanilla to this mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt mixture to butter, granulated, brown sugar, egg and vanilla mixture until just combined.
- Drop cookie dough in desired container, I added mine to a round baking container. Do not use a cookie sheet as you want depth to your cookies.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are crisp and center is still soft. Let stand for 2-5 minutes. Remove cookie from baking dish and transfer to wire rack to cool down completely.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut cookie hearts and return to wire rack.
- Place a sauce pan on low heat, add four tablespoons of dulce de leche to soften it or becomes a spreadable substance.
- Horizontally slice your cookies to have a top and bottom.
- Once Dulce de leche is soften, spread it on one of the sides of you cookies and replace top. Finish off with confectioners sugar.
As you can see, I made a simple cookie that can stand on its own; however, the dulce de leche gives it the perfect decadent flavor. These cookies can be enjoyed as they are or you can even pair them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or with a tall glass of cold milk. What will you be preparing for your special Valentine’s day celebration? Let us know if you decide to make our Heart Cookies Filled with Dulce de Leche by leaving us a comment in the comment section below.