Central American beans are a huge staple in our home, however, the only thing I dislike about cooking beans is that they take a moon and a half to cook. Yes, I am not exaggerating, on a weekly basis, it takes me over 2 hours to cook a batch of beans that only last a few days in our home. Well, if I have learned something from my mother-in-law is to use the pressure cooker to lower my cooking time and that’s how I learned to make Central American red beans in the pressure cooker. Check out how easy it is to make these beans using your Instant Pot pressure cooker video below.
Instant Pot Central American Red Beans
- 1 pkg - 14 oz. Central American red beans.
- 1 medium green pepper or whichever color peppers you like.
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled but left in chunks. I use purple onion, but you can use yellow if you want.
- 1/2 head of garlic, about 8 cloves peeled but left whole.
- 2 tsp. of salt or to taste.
- 4 cups of water or 2" of water above beans.
- First, sort and rinse your beans (no need to pre-soak).
- Second, place everything into the inner pot of your Instant Pot in this order: beans, water, and veggies.
- Third, put the lid on and turn the Steam Release to sealing.
- Now, press the bean/chili pre-setting and let your instant pot do its job.
- Once done, "Quick Release" the steam completely before opening the lid.
- Open the lid, stir your beans, salt, and stir again.
- Serve hot over cooked rice, refried them or add them to your favorite meal.
Related Post: Delicious pressure cooker caramel flan
Instant Pot Central American Red Beans Step-by-Step
So, what do you think of this easy and delicious Instant Pot Central American Red Beans Recipe? These pressured cooked beans cooked in no time, thanks to the pressure cooker! You can serve hot over cooked rice, refried them or add them to your favorite meal. Do you have a favorite pressure cooker recipe you love to share with us, if so, leave us a note in the comment section below!
Click HERE to Pin this post for later!