Here in Miami we are about 3 weeks away from Back To School and this means purchasing all the necessary school supplies to be ready for the first day of school. I was happy to hear that local food banks in the Georgia, Florida, Alabama, & Louisiana, including Feeding South Florida, are also preparing for the upcoming school year and the fight against childhood hunger. In partnership with 18 regional food banks, Winn-Dixie has launched the Summer Backpack Hunger Relief Program in all stores to help the one out of five children in Florida who don’t know from where their next meal will come. And you can make the difference! NOW through August 19, you can donate at your local Winn Dixie store register and help provide meals for healthy minds and bodies to thrive in the classroom. Every dollar donated will go directly to regional food banks to help fill backpacks with nutritious, fresh foods.
Give a dollar. Help fill a backpack.
The 18 food banks benefiting from the Winn-Dixie Summer Backpack Hunger Relief Program include:
- America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia, Inc. Savannah, Ga.
- Feeding Northeast Florida Jacksonville, Fla.
- Feeding America Tampa Bay Tampa, Fla.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida Orlando, Fla.
- All Faiths Food Bank Sarasota, Fla.
- Food Bank of Manatee Bradenton, Fla.
- Harry Chapin Food Bank of Southwest Florida Ft. Myers, Fla.
- Feeding South Florida Pembroke Park, Fla.
- Treasure Coast Food Bank Fort Pierce, Fla.
- America’s Second Harvest of the Big Bend, Inc. Tallahassee, Fla.
- Bay Area Food Bank Theodore, Ala.
- Community Food Bank of Central Alabama Birmingham, Ala.
- Feeding the Valley Food Bank Columbus, Ga.
- Montgomery Area Food Bank Montgomery, Ala.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of South Georgia Valdosta, Ga.
- Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank Baton Rouge, La.
- Mississippi Food Network Jackson, Miss.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana New Orleans, La.
Take a minute and donate, it will help keep kids in school & learn!
Disclosure: I was provided with the above information by Winn-Dixie Supermarkets. No compensation was received.